The ‘Family’ page allows you to create and manage lineages (families). Following the GEDCOM standard, a WP Genealogy ‘Family’ identifies a legal, common law, or other customary relationship of man and woman and their children, if any – or a family created by virtue of the birth of a child to its biological father and mother.
An individual can be a member of multiple Families – for example they can be the child of one family and a spouse in another. ‘Family’ in WPGenealogy does not mean ‘all the people in my database who I think are related’ – that is closer to what we would call a ‘Tree’ in WPGenealogy – the ‘Tree’ links multiple Families into one whole group.
1 – Family Listing Page
2 – Add Family Screens
Always assign your family to a Tree!
- Family ID can be specified by you when creating a family although we recommend using the system generated ID unless you have a pressing need to change this. You can Check if an ID is already in use. Once confirmed you can Lock the ID.
- Optionally, assign a Father and Mother. You can search for existing individuals or create new ones.
- Flag if Living and if you want to keep information Private.
- Add key information if known – eg Marriage date.
- Marrriage Type is a free text field where you can add explanatort text eg. ‘Civil’, ‘Church’, ‘Sealing only (LDS)’, ‘Common Law’, ‘Not Married’ etc as suits you.
- If the couple divorced you can also add the date.
- Click ‘Save and Continue’.
[SECOND SCREEN IMAGE TO BE ADDED]
3 – View and Edit Family Screen